The Cardiac Rehab Scholarship was established in 1993 by Roger Brown, Bill Keen, and Louise DePedro, former patients at the Cardiac Rehab facility at Brandywine Hospital, in honor of the caring and concern demonstrated by the cardiac rehab nursing staff. Since then, existing and former patients at the Cardiac Rehab facility are asked to contribute to this fund in lieu of holiday gifts for the staff, so that nursing students can continue their studies regardless of economic circumstance. The generosity of many current and former patients enables the foundation to award two to four $1,000 scholarships each spring.
Application Process and Criteria:
Students interested in applying for the Cardiac Rehab Nursing Scholarship must do so on-line after reviewing the information below. Applications are due by 5:00 p.m. on March 24, and requires that the student upload pdfs of their most recent transcript, clinical evaluations, letters of support, and an application letter that emphasizes the following criteria:
- Academic Excellence – The student should have at least a 3.0 GPA, and should show evidence of being self-directed in seeking further learning opportunities.
- Clinical Competence – The student demonstrates consistent exceptional clinical performance in the care of clients.
- Communication Skills – The student develops and maintains rapport with members of the health team so that communication is constructive and effective.
- Caring and Concern – The student shows consistent evidence of sensitivity to the needs of his/her patients.
- Financial Need – The student should show why he/she is in need of the full amount being awarded, after all eligible grants have been exhausted.
Preference is given to students living in the greater Coatesville area.