The Brandywine Center
The Brandywine Center in Coatesville offers our neighbors high quality health services from caring doctors, dentists and other health care professionals. It is the first major development in the City of Coatesville, Pennsylvania, in over thirty years, and an invaluable source of health and housing services for low income residents in our community. The center opened in April 2008, and is a four-story, 48,000+ square foot building on the main street of Coatesville.
Before O’Lena Fordham learned about ChesPenn’s new medicine dispensary, she sometimes skipped some of her diabetes, heart and thyroid medications because she simply could not afford them. But thanks to a federal program that requires drug manufacturers to provide discounted outpatient drugs to eligible health centers, the 53-year-old estimates the dispensary now saves her $500 a month. O’Lena shared, “I feel a lot better and I know I wouldn’t be feeling the way I do now if I couldn’t keep up on my medicines. The dispensary is a godsend.” Her health conditions forced her to give up her job as a pre-school daycare worker.
Thousands of children and their families receive critical health care, dental care and behavioral health services at the Brandywine Center each and every day. They are treated with a variety of services such as the management of chronic diseases like asthma and diabetes, like O’Lena, and they also receive routine examinations and access to preventive care programs.
The foundation is proud of the following accomplishments made possible with so many individuals, foundations and corporate support over the last decade:
- Bringing ChesPenn Health Services to Coatesville, the only Federally Qualified Health Center in Chester County, now providing over 8,000 patient visits to low income residents throughout Chester County, including pediatric services, prenatal care, and management of chronic diseases. The foundation provided an initial grant of $1 million for three years, is now into a five year $2 million grant period, and has introduced ChesPenn to numerous other foundations, businesses and individuals now supporting their efforts as well.
- Chester County Community Dental, and partnering with the Chester County Department of Mental Health and Mental Retardation, as well as the Coatesville Area School District to bring behavioral health services to Coatesville, Child Guidance Resource Centers.
- Building these agencies a permanent home, the Brandywine Center, at 744 East Lincoln Highway in Coatesville. With funding from a varied combination of public and private sources, the building is owned by a limited partnership created by the foundation, which has taken on 100% of the financial risk. It houses the four non-profit organizations: ChesPenn Health Services, Chester County Community Dental, Child Guidance Resource Centers and Human Services Inc., and has 24 units of affordable senior housing. This $13 million, four-story Center, which opened in April 2008, represents the first major construction in the heart of Coatesville in over thirty years; it is a once-in-a-generation opportunity to positively impact the health of those living in this promising but struggling community in a very concrete way.
The center provides a full range of behavioral, dental and primary health services through these critical non-profit organizations:
- ChesPenn Health Services, 610.380.4660, www.chespenn.com
- Child Guidance Resource Centers, 610.383.5635, www.cgrc.org
- Chester County Community Dental Center, 610.383.3888, www.chescodental.org
- Human Services, Inc., 610.380.9982 (presently does not have a Web site)
The Brandwyine Center
744 East Lincoln Highway,
Coatesville PA 19320
Visit The Brandywine Center today!